Monday, September 05, 2011

"We are strangers...we are aliens....we are not of this world."  Lyrics by Petra

When I heard this song for the first time, I was 16 or 17. This guy I was dating was really into a new genre called Christian rock, and he asked me to go to a Petra concert in South Bend with another couple. Since I don't like going to concerts if I don't know the music, the guy gave me a cassette (ha) of Petra's latest album and said these songs would be included on the concert.

These words came back to me tonight for a reason. 

It's so easy to get caught up in what WE want to do. Our families. Our friends. Our hobbies. Our organizations. Our gossip. Our indulgences.

Yet, God calls us to do things that confound the worldly. Love one another. Turn the other cheek. Pray for our enemies.

Today I was faced with several situations that made me want to scream. God knows the situations and the people involved, but I admit that I fumed for a time (I wanted to throw things)...and then I was just sad. 

Instead, I've prayed God would release that anger and allow me to rise above it--not be defined by it.




No comments: