Sunday, August 07, 2011

I'll never look at a fishbowl the same way again.

Poor fish. Limited in movement. Dependent on a provider of food, oxygen and poop removal. More than anything... a lack of privacy. Everyone can look, point, tap on the glass, laugh, make faces.

When I went on my Emmaus Walk weekend over ten years ago, Wayne bought Kristen and Nick two (huge) fish and put them in a little bitty bowl. When I walked in 72 hours later, the kids told me how much fun they were having staring into the sides of the bowl, making the fish appear larger and stranger than they already were!

I wondered...what distortion must the fish see when looking our direction? I wonder if the fish hears anything, or is the sound distorted, too?

When events occur that place us, whether we want them to or not, into the metaphorical fishbowl, I would advise all outside the fishbowl to keep in mind the element of distortion.

1 comment:

Vicwyn said...

I can't flounder over that piece of great advice. ;) bahahahaha!